Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Story


Eugene Peterson, wordsmith for The Message, has a brilliant way of shaping words. Often after I have read his writings, I muse, "why couldn't I have thought of that?"


Recently I was going through some old computer files....sorta of a trip down virtual memory lane and ran across this statement by Peterson.


We live in narrative, we live in story.
Existence has a story shape to it.
We have a beginning and an end,
we have a plot, we have characters."


That statement helps me to understand the complexities of life and it assures me that I have a part in the story.


I thought that I would make several observations and affirmations this afternoon. I just finished lunch and I am in that time of pensive reflection after a plate of ribs at one of my favorite restaurants....(lunch portion size)


Observation #1 It is exciting when you begin to see life as an unfolding story. It is even more rewarding when you realize that your existence is in the shape of a story.


Reflection....If this is true, and I think it is, then what happens in my life and the lives of those around me has a larger purpose. Sadly, what happens to me often obscures this purpose.


Observation #2 Everyone has a beginning and an ending. What happens between those two events really determines the shape of your story.


Reflection...If this is true, and I think it is, then my task is to make certain that all of life is a pursuit of meaning and purpose. To often we focus on our beginnings and miss the moments that erupt in our life daily. Sometimes we get focused on the end of life and give up when there are still many opportunities around us. I am discovering that "being full present in every moment" is a great way to live between the markers.


Observation #3 Plot and characters.....there are plenty of both. There is plenty of drama all around us. The reason is that we live with 'characters.'


Reflection...The shape of your story will change when you embrace the "plots" that arise in your life and welcome the "characters" inhabiting those plots.


How is the plot unfolding in your life?
What about the characters?
What's the story look like?


Enjoy the moments!

No comments: