Thursday, July 3, 2008

Brewmuff


I walked in my friends coffee shop this morning for a quick brewmuff. I am trying to save words in my blog so I combined coffee and blueberry muffin into one word...brewmuff.


I unpacked my laptop and thought I would store a few words in the hard drive. What happened next was amazing.


A guy walked in the door with a guitar. Another guy across the shop eyes lit up as he saw his friend walk through the door.


They sat down in the middle of the coffee shop and sang a few songs.


"Mustang Sally"


"Coffee Shop Blues"


And a few Rascal Flatts and Willie Nelson songs.


People began to sing along and pretty soon there was what Fyodor Dostoevsky described as the "spirit of place."


"Spirit of Place" refers to that unique, honored aspect of a place or situation. It is nothing that can be planned, formed or anticipate. It just happens.


You don't know when it is going to happen, but you know it when you see it or feel it.


I felt it this morning.


I long to experience the "spirit of place" where I worship, where I live, and where I work. It happens when we least expect it, it occurs when we most need it, and it unfolds in times when our spirits are ready to embrace it.


All three of those happened this morning for me, and I am thankful.


Slow down today and be ready for His moments.

1 comment:

Debbie Sladek said...

I happened upon your blog one day recently (I'm new to blogspot.com) using the "Next Blog" option. I find your stories very compelling and am slowly making my way through each one, beginning each day with your most recent posting. Your reflections on grace are particularly interesting to me and helping me to see the movement of God in my own life and writings. Thank you for sharing this with others.