Thursday, July 17, 2008

Mandela


Nelson Mandela will celebrate his 90th birthday next week.


His resume is replete with accomplishments that would make most people feel like they had lived a boring life.


In the July 21st issue of Time Magazine, Richard Stengel interviews Mandela who he refers to as "the world's greatest moral leader." He goes on to call him "the closest thing the world has to a secular saint."


Now, I am no Mandela, but "the world's greatest moral leader?" "Secular saint?"


I had to meander past those descriptors to the heart of Stengel's article.


He outlines Mandela's 8 Lessons of Leadership.


Here they are....


Courage is not the absence of fear-its inspiring others to move beyond it.

Lead from the front-but don't leave your base behind.

Lead from the back-and let others believe they are in front.

Know your enemy-and learn about his favorite sport.

Keep your friends close-and your rivals even closer.

Appearances matter-and remember to smile.

Nothing is black or white.

Quitting is leading too.


I have been thinking about these lessons and how they might influence the decisions that I make daily. I have been reflecting on ways to think about "the first will be last" thinking that is prevalent in the writings of the Master Teacher. I have been wondering if the kingdom of God is really an "upside down" world.


Consider...


...the first will be last and the last will first."

"whoever wants to be great would have to be a servant"

"God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise"

"...he chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong"


Some of Mandela's Lessons on Leadership have given me pause to think, some I am not sure about, others may have truth to them.


Jesus' insights into the Kingdom of God give me pause to think, some stretch me beyond my comfort zone, and others leave me speechless.


The Kingdom of God is waiting for people to live out its tenets and experience His grace in the process.


Life is interesting when we affirm that the "Kingdom of God" is at hand.

No comments: