Sunday, July 27, 2008

Solitude


This evening, after a long day, I took my bike out of the garage and pointed it toward the end of the driveway.


It was as though the bike knew what was coming next.


A quick five mile jaunt through the neighborhood allowed me an opportunity for solitude. I was looking forward to the quiet, but not looking forward to the rigor of riding five miles.


The solitude provided an opportunity for some surprising insights, five to be exact. Here they are in no particular order.


1. There is a lot of debris, trash, beer cans, and bumps that you would never see when speeding along the road. Insight: I wonder how much I miss because I am always on the move at a fast pace?


2. People drive fast and can force you off the road when you are plodding along at a snails pace. Insight: Bigger and faster always wins. How sad!


3. The path always looks a lot shorter on a map. Insight: You never get any exercise reading a map!


4. When you are quiet, all kinds of things cross your mind...i.e. "the could-a, would-a, should-a" list kicks in. Insight: The tyranny of the unfinished can drive you to discouragement and despair if you allow it.


5. If you stop pedaling the bike stops and you can fall off and hurt yourself...in that order. Insight: Keep pedaling.


The week is before me and there will be a lot more five mile excursions into solitude. I wonder if there are lessons to be learned in every one of those miles? I think there are lessons to be learned, insights to be embraced, and experiences to be welcomed if we "stop...look...and listen."


I wish I could be more profound, but I think there is something deep in the simple things of life.


Keep pedaling!

No comments: