Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Mission


In my reading yesterday I ran across a statement that arrrested my attention. I have been trying to get my mind wrapped around what it means to be a church "on a mission." I have known churches and organizations that spend more time creating and thinking about mission statements than they ever do engaging in mission.


I don't want to be guilty of that as a leader, so when I read this statement it brought a sense of clarity to my mind.


The statement is attributed to Leonard Griffin.


The church does not engage in mission, the church is

mission, or it ceases to be the church.


When I begin to understand that His church is mission it begins to re-frame what I think about and what I do. It frees me from the tyranny of looking for things to "do" and sets me free to "be" the church.


My understanding of "being" and "doing" is being challenged in these days. I find it easier to "do" things in the name of the kingdom rather than to "be" the kingdom, especially when faced with all kinds of needs.


So....the question is this...."is the church a place or a people?"


Of course, we all know the answer to that question, but do we really?


To often we associate the church as a "place where things happen."


The words we use capture it well..."we go to church" like we go to the store. "We attend church" like we attend school, or "we belong to a church" like we belong to an organization.


I am discovering in new ways something I have known for a long time. It has often gotten me in trouble as I have attempted to be true to His calling. Here it is...There is a major shift from a "church-centered" view to a "God-centered" view.


To often we measure the strength of a church by how many attend. I am beginning to wonder if the strength of the church ought to be measured by how many go out to participate in what God is doing in the world.


To often we view church as one writer views it when he calls the church a "vendor of goods and services." Death is around the corner for churches when their ministry is influenced by a "consumer mentality."


So this morning I am thinking about the phrase that I read yesterday. I am reminded that the central aspect of the teaching of Jesus was concerning the Kingdom of God.


Then the scripture from Matthew 10:7 takes on new meaning. "As you go, proclaim the good news, 'The kingdom of heaven has come near.'"


I am listening to the One who whispers....."the kingdom of God is at hand."

No comments: