Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Monasticism


Sitting in a classroom on the second floor of the seminary, I dutifully listened to the lecture on monasticism. It was a warm fall afternoon and my mind was drifting toward graduation and "getting out into the real world."


Lecturing in a voice that seemed to drone on and on, the professor talked about monasticism as a practice in which a person renounces all worldly pursuits so that they can fully devote their lives to spiritual work.


I wanted to renounce all theological studies so that I could fully devote myself to ministry. I wanted to get on with the task of ministerial practice.


That has been several years ago.


Today I was walking through my local christian "gifts and trinket" store looking for a book. I was struck by several books that address a "new monasticism." My memory was jarred into remembering a recent Christianity Today issue that focused on this issue. (September, 2005.Volume 49, No.9)


The New Monasticism is a clarion call for people to:


practice thoughtful, prayerful and contemplative lives

experience communal life

renew an interest in and practice of hospitality

meaningful engage with the poor and marginalized of this world


All of these sound strangely like the teachings of Jesus. How sad that we have veered toward self-centeredness, individuality, privacy, and avoidance of exposure to the worlds difficulties.


Here are some resources that may be helpful as the church navigates the rapids of change.


The Irresistible Revolution, Shane Claiborne

New Monasticism, What it has to say to the Church, Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove

Jesus For President: Politics for Ordinary Radicals, Shane Claiborne


Drinking from the springs of these wells will remind you that the Christian Faith is simple and we are called to be simple followers.


The CT article closes with these words..."though the new monasticism is a minority movement, its impact could be far beyond the numbers of people involved. None of these historical movements were ever a huge percentage of the Christian population. But they had a disproportionate impact on society. I think we are going to see that over the next 50 years."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Shane Claiborne came to MVNU this past year. He seems to be the hero du jour for church leaders. I listened to the podcast of the chapel service. He reminds me a lot of a guy that used to work for me at the bank. He left the bank to become "Past of Worship and the Arts", whatever that means ;>). Now he is planting a church in Baytown called The Refinery.

Tom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tom said...

Haven't seen a blog for a few days...but then I do have a first hand knowledge of how busy you have been for the Kingdom. Just know we miss seeing your insightful thought stimulating comments.