Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Adages

Last week I was sitting in a meeting of pastors.  This is not unusual, however the meeting was for young pastors who were beginning their ministry.


A seasoned pastor was speaking and challenging the new pastors to think about their future as agents of change and renewal. With expertise forged on the anvil of experience, he made a statement that applies to everyone, not just pastors.


My mind was jolted when he made the statement...


He said, 


"At the end of your life you will be remembered 
for one of two things."


I would like to be remembered for more than that. I sat in reflection as the rest of his words finished the sentence. How many things would you like to remembered for?  What would you like to be remembered for? Are you doing anything right now that is memorable and will be recalled by future generations? Will you do anything day that is commendable to those who follow you?


Poignant questions.


He said,


"At the end of your life you will be remembered
for one of two things. You will be remembered for the 
problems you created or the problems that you solved."

He is right.

The more I think about what he said, the more I realize that my memories of people are closely tied to those two observations. I remember people who "caused problems" and those who "solved problems."

To be sure, if you are a "problem solver" it will be necessary to have "problem causers" otherwise you won't have much work.


I would like to be remembered for the problems I solved rather than the problems I caused. Time will tell. However, I want to be faithful to solve problems that come across my path.


I am grateful for those who have gone before me and for all of the problems they solved so that I can have a place of service. I want to face life with a "no problem" attitude. 

Thanks Ron Blake, pastor of Detroit First Church for your words last week.

1 comment:

Lost in the crowd! said...

I know it is probably unrealistic for me to ever be seen as not have created my share of problems. In the grand scheme of life, I wouldn't mind however being know for solving more than I created.