Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Quips

I have always been amused by Winston Churchill and his sharp wit. History is replete with examples of his acerbic tongue and ability to craft words in ways that are entertaining. 

Last evening I was reading and ran across another of Churchill's quips.


George Bernard Shaw, playwright and writer, sent a note to Winston Churchill inviting him to an opening night of his newest play.


"I am enclosing two tickets to the the first night of 
my new play, bring a friend...if you have one."


Churchill was not amused with Shaw's innuendo. So he replied...


"Cannot possibly attend the first night, 
will attend second...if there is one."


In the words of someone wiser than me..."some things are left better unsaid." 

Yeah, but you've gotta love the quick wit of Churchill and his ability to communicate how he felt about Shaw's insult.


All of this makes me wonder. I think that "some things are left better unsaid" in a world where opinions and comments are readily offered.


There is an old adage that says, "you don't have to attend every argument you are invited to." In other words, you don't have to respond to every comment which comes your way. 


Churchill never seemed to master that art. Most of us will struggle with mastering that as well. Today the challenge will be to "watch our words" so that we can pray the prayer, "may the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in your sight."

No comments: