Monday, May 23, 2011

Loss

It has happened again. Devastation and loss of life has become part of the DNA of Joplin, Missouri. Nearly a hundred people have lost their lives as a result of the tornado activity overnight.


The images are reminiscent of those we have seen in the Southeast United States.What is happening? 


It will take a few hours to begin to assess the damage and to consider the steps to recovery. I have seen these kinds of devastation and it never gets easier.


My heart goes out to the residents of Joplin, Missouri. Seated in the comfort of my home this morning, I am reminded of how events like this can seem far removed from where we live. It is easy to compartmentalize our lives and think that events like this will never touch our world. But, disasters are not necessarily limited to tornadoes and hurricanes.

My prayers are with the people of the central United States this morning. 

No comments: