Saturday, May 14, 2011

Between

All of us live "between" alternatives. "Between a rock and a hard place" is familiar territory for many in today's culture. We are well accustomed to living in an "either/or" world that forces us to make choices. 


I am caught right now "between" two haunting stewardship questions. 

The first question is "what can I spare?" and the second is, "what will it take?" 

It is easy to think these questions are relegated to money and pass them off because we think we are already stretched financially. It is another to consider these questions in light of the commodity of time.

When faced with need, my first response is often "what can I spare?"  It is seldom "what will it take?"  I am no busier than the next person, but my first response is similar to that of many others. Often we see how little effort is required to address a need. It is sorta like giving leftovers or scraps when a great need is expressed. 

I am wondering what my life would look like if I learned to ask, "what will it take?" when a great need arises. 

Here are a couple of quick observations from my experience...

"What can I spare?" is an easy way of letting me off the hook when a compelling need surfaces.
"What can I spare?" doesn't require great sacrifice.
"What can I spare?" silently says, "somebody else will take care of the need."
"What can I spare?" means my needs are more important than anyone elses.


"What will it take?"...now, that's a whole other question. I can only ask that question when I realize that time and finances ultimately belong to Him. He is the source of all of the things that I have. When I get to that point in my life I can no longer ask, "what can I spare?" but I will ask "what will it take?"


So, today I choose to live in the "what will it take?" world and trust that He will provide the necessary resources.

1 comment:

dleatherland said...

I'm going out on a limb here and gonna guess you've read "Radical" by David Platt!