Thursday, May 26, 2011

Motivation

This  morning I overheard the following conversation between two people in their mid-80's

"There is one of them big motivational conferences downtown."

He said, "A what?"

"A motivational conference."

"Humph."

"Wait, you haven't heard who is speaking?"

"Yeah, who's speaking?"

Now at this point I was interested in hearing the slate of speakers.

She continued, "Rudolph Guiliani, Robert Schuller, Colin Powell, some football player and a couple of other people I don't know...Sounds interesting. Wanna go?"

The old man mumbled something that I couldn't understand, but I am pretty sure he wasn't interested in going to a motivational conference.

Now that isn't the best part of the story...What the old lady said next floored me.

She said, "yeah, I am to old to think about being motivated anyway, what would I do if I got motivated?"

I can't remember anything else, but that is a haunting question.  Can you ever be to old to be motivated? Is there a point in your life where you just give up and say, "well, I am just going to go through life on automatic pilot?"

I got up and left, but I am still thinking about two things. First, I am thinking about the old man who mumbled and secondly, I am thinking about a lady who thinks she is to old to be motivated. Sad.

George Eliot was right when he said, "It's never to late to be who you might have been."

I wonder if he ever went to a motivational conference?

No comments: