Monday, February 25, 2008

Giants


Walking into the lecture hall was intimidating. The smell of the room was nothing like the smell of my first grade classroom. But there was still an aroma in the lecture hall.


Sitting in the fifth row seemed like an adequate distance from the professor.


From his opening words until he closed the lecture, time seemed to stand still. A smooth southern accent massaged the ears of those attending his lectures.


He said things like, "Take out your notebooks and lets begin class." "See you on church on Sunday." And" gentleman the test will be on Thursday at 9:20 AM."


Thursday came.


Then he prayed a prayer like this. "Dear God, we pray that you will help those who have studied and remind those who didnt study that they are on their own. Amen." I have been on both sides of those prayers.


He was a giant. He was a saint. He loved God and made me want to love God.


I learned several things from this giant.


I developed an insatiable appetite for the Gospel of Luke and the book of Acts

I learned that stories open people's hearts to The Story.

I learned that writing and storytelling are noble tasks.


This giant? Dr. William McCumber


I am not sure where he is today, but I know that some of what he tried to communicate in that aromatic lecture hall has taken up residence in my soul.


May I be a steward of the gifts that he gave me and may I be a steward of the gifts that He has given me. Both are important.


Just a thought.

No comments: