Friday, February 29, 2008

Extra


"I just need a few more hours in the day."


"I have a few more things to do but not enough time to get it all done.'


"If I just had another day in the week."


Well.....today is your day. February 29, a Leap Year Day. This is day that only comes every few years. It is a day that doesn't appear on the calendar yearly.


So, it seems like an extra day to me since it doesn't come every year. So let's see....How will I spend it?


It's early. I am sitting in Panera Bread sipping from the free internet and nursing a steaming mug of java.


Here is something that I observe as i sit here. It seems like people who wander into Panera Bread don't have watches on. It seems like they are able to make time bend to accomodate them rather than laboring under the "tyranny of the ought." It's as though they are experiencing life in slow motion.


I have people that I am meeting with today. The best part is that I am going to hear their stories. Eugene Peterson is right...


"We live in narrative, we live in story. Existence has a story shape to it. We have a beginning and an end, we have a plot, we have characters."


It is Friday, February 29th. It is another day to hear the stories of people who are trying to figure out where they fit into life.


I need to "get a move on." Wait a minute....that's the problem.


I need to "be still" and wait for the Story Author.


Gotta run....here comes my "next story." I wonder what has happened in his life since the last time we talked.


I am anxious to lay aside my plot and narrative so that he can have plenty of room to trace the rhythms of God's grace in his life.


When was the last time that you were attentive to His Story?


One of my favorite lines is...Once upon a time....


Gotta walk...life is happening...don't want to miss it.


Just a thought...

No comments: