Thursday, February 21, 2008

Rigid Ways

"From Francis and the early Franciscans I have learned that there are not rigid "ways" to God; there are only those who make their way to God and who leave us a record of their journey." The Way of St. Francis: The Challenge of Franciscan Spirituality for Everyone, Murray Bodo. 1995.


"Rigid Ways." That phrase haunts me.


I wonder what it means and how our understanding of God's ways are always eclipsed by the prejudice of our ways.


Be very careful about "recipe approaches." Exercise caution when someone says, "here are four steps" to following God. "Here are three principles" to knowing the will of God.


It makes me wonder...If we can explain how God acts and works, have we really understood God? And is it God? Or is it a god of our own making?


Somewhere in Scripture it says, "for my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways."


Who said we have to "find our own way?" We see in the lives of those who have gone before us hints and clues about ways to God. There are plenty of saints who have left us "a record of their journey."


I am searching for "journey records" to guide me. I am in quest of "maps" that will propel me forward in my pilgrimage. I am in quest of "stories" that connect me to His Story.


I guess I am searching for some good reading for the road...


"journey records....maps....stories" I would settle for two out of three.


Just a thought....

No comments: