Thursday, February 21, 2008

Pilgrim-Age


“Life is lived forwards but understood backwards.” Soren Kierkegaard


We live in very interesting times. We live in a time when more is known than perhaps any other time in history. And yet, we know less about living life. Why is that?


To often we spend time thinking about the future and what it will look like. Seldom do we think about paths that brought us to where we are today.


Kierkegaards words are poignant. Yes, we are living life forward, but understanding comes when we are able to look backward.


People I meet everyday talk glibly about pilgrimages, journeys and trips.


I have been thinking about the word, "pilgrimage." I think I know what it means. There are days when I feel like I am on a "pilgrimage," and there are days when it seems like the way is difficult to find.


Quiet frankly, I spend more time mapping out future terrain than I do studying the maps of those who have walked this path before me.


I want to re-work the word "pilgrimage" for a moment. I want to change it by inserting a hyphen. The new word, "pilgrim-age."


We are living in the "pilgrim-age" where everyone is searching for the path that will lead them into a God-shaped encounter. Sadly, the path often takes many toward god-shaped encounters that lead them astray.


I am calling for shepherds, griots, leaders to remind us again that we are living in a "pilgrim-age." An age where we affirm that we are on a sacred journey that re-defines who we are and where we are headed.


The apostle Paul was onto something when he wrote, "Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders..." I Thessalonians 4:11-12.


Here are a couple of questions that I must ask myself if my ambition is to "lead a quiet life."


Am I on a walk or am I on a pilgrimage?

Am I fully present in this "pilgrim-age?"

Am I winning the respect of others by what I do or by what He is doing in me?


I am living forwards, but I am looking backwards. Backwards at key intersections that forged new directions for the Church. Backwards at significant paths taken by those who beckon me to walk faithfully in this "pilgrim-age."


Thank you St. Francis of Assisi...thank you Francois Fenelon....thank you David Brainerd....thank you Jonathan Edwards...thank you to those on whose shoulders I regularly stand to get a better view of what's behind.


I am on a pilgrimage in a "pilgrim-age."


Backward....Forward.


Be sure to look both ways before you cross the street.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! Blogging for a while and you never told anyone...

I read through all your posts and didn't know where to comment. So, I just went to this most recent one.

Congratulations or condolences on your journey or "pilgrimage" into the blogosphere. I was wondering when you would embrace this medium as it is tailor made to your style and genre of writing.

I am proud of you and I look forward to what you will have to say moving forward.

~Kevin

aliamodo said...

You are an amazing man, DWB. I have only gone through the first 2 days of entry and I must break as you have sent my head swirling with thoughts. I see that your "brother" --I presume--is equally talented with words and I agree with him in that this medium is fitting for you. I look forward to sharing in your writings. I wish that I were so talented to write in such a manner. Kevin's first thoughts were mine as well--man, he has been doing this for a while and he is just now sharing this with others??

Do you know that I have never been to a blog before? Once again, you help me to grow and become more diverse.

Hello to Kevin, also. I have heard about how David use to tip over game boards when playing with you. Can you believe that those moments meant something to your brother and that he used it as an illustration of God's love? Is writing to Kevin on David's blog illegal in the blogging world?

Alicia

Unknown said...

Alicia,

Oh, there are laws when it comes to blogging. But you have not run afoul of any of them by directing a comment to me on his blog.

And feel free to visit my blog as well. That is all a part of the cross-pollenization that occurs. I am not near the creative writer that David is.

~Kevin