Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Prayer


Prayer is a mysterious thing.


Donald Miller, the author of Blue Like Jazz, says, "I believe that the greatest trick of the devil is not to get us into some sort of evil but rather have us wasting time. That is why the devil tries so hard to get Christians to be religious. If he can sink a man’s mind into habit, he will prevent his heart from engaging God." p.13


He goes on to say, "there are places in our lives that only God can go."


I have a prayer that I pray that allows me to invite God to those places. It is by Trudy Archambeau, an unknown pray-er, who authentically longed for God.


God of second chances and new beginnings
I am always amazed
that you choose to use me for
your kingdom purposes.
You use me as I am;
imperfect,
flawed,
ordinary,
tending sometimes not to do my best
prone to error
and very inclined to trip and fall.

Always your grace
is greater than my mistakes and stumblings.
Thank you, O God,
for using me in spite of myself!

Unfailing God,
remind me often that,
in your sight,
failure is never final.
By your grace,
enable me to deal with
my own failures constructively
and with the failures of others patiently.

Let it be so.
Amen.


This prayer has helped me move from history to mystery in my prayer life.


Prayer is a mysterious thing.


What do you think?

1 comment:

L&M Cigarettes said...

The first thing I wanted to do was to thank the author for making such a beautiful blog! No one could have done it better! Thank you very much for the pictures which are on the page. They are splendid! I will surely add your blog to my links and will always visit the web page you’ve created!