Saturday, April 12, 2008

Words


Richard Foster wrote, "It is far better to soak in five pages of substance than to read 500 pages of fluff."


Words are everywhere.


The Lord's Prayer has 66 words
The Gettysburg Address has 286 words
The 10 Commandments has 179 words
The Declaration of Independence has 1300 words
The Pythagoream Theorem has 24 words
Archimedes Principle has 67 words


I read this week that the United States Government Regulations on the sale of cabbage has 26,911 words. Whew! Makes me tired thinking about it.


I always vacillate between "fluff" and "substance." It is easy to get distracted by "fluff" and miss what is all around us.


Carl Sanburg, the great American writer said, "There is an eagle in me that wants to soar, and there is a hippopotamus in me that wants to wallow in the mud."


Reading keeps my mind sharp and allows me to focus on substance when the world around me tempts me with fluff.


This mystery has been kept in the dark for a long time, but now it's out in the open. God wanted everyone, not just Jews, to know this rich and glorious secret inside and out, regardless of their background, regardless of their religious standing. The mystery in a nutshell is just this: Christ is in you, so therefore you can look forward to sharing in God's glory. It's that simple. That is the substance of our Message. Colossians 1:26


Where is your focus? Substance or fluff?


Just a thought

No comments: