Monday, April 21, 2008

Prayer


Every once in a while I read a prayer that reminds me that many of the prayers I pray are anemic. It is easy to get into a rhythm of prayer in which familiar words and phrases can flow mindlessly from our lips.


In the fourth century St. Ephrem wrote a prayer that to this day is prayed in the Eastern Orthodox Church nightly Monday through Friday in Lent.


It is simple, yet profound.


O Lord and Master of my life!

Take from me the spirit of sloth, faint-heartedness, lust of power and idle talk.

But give me rather the spirit of chastity, humility, patience and love to my servant.

Yea, O Lord and King!

Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother, for thou art blessed unto ages of ages. Amen.


I love this prayer.


Robert E. Webber, in Ancient-Future Time: Forming Spirituality Through the Christian Year says, "sloth is a laziness that prevents us from choosing a spiritual pilgrimage." He goes on to say that "faint-heartedness is a despondency, a negative and pessimistic attitude toward life."


The remedy for sloth and faintheartedness is chastity. This word is often used to think about issues of sexuality and sexual purity. However, there is a much deeper meaning. One that St. Ephrem would have understood. Chastity means re-establishing true values in every area of our life, and then living by them.


I love the last part of the prayer....


Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother...


This frees me from the tendency to be a "fruit inspector" when I should be seeking "the fruit."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"fruit inspector"

That was a Dean Helfrich line, wasn't it?