Thursday, April 10, 2008

Artists


St. Francis of Assisi was right.


He captured the heart of the church and understood nuances that slipped past many of his contemporaries. Describing those he served he said, "He who works with his hands is a labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."


The church is made up of laborers, craftsmen and artists."


All are sacred. All are essential. All are important to fulfilling the church's calling.


I know some of all three.


Everytime I meet a laborer I am grateful for their work. When I meet a craftsman I marvel at their ability. When I encounter an artist I am in awe. God works equally in all three. It is my perceptions of each that labels one more important than another.


Some days I am a laborer...occasionally I am a craftsman...once in a while I feel like an artist.


Last year while on a trip through the Smoky Mountains I watched as a young lady created artwork on pottery. She worked effortlessly at her craft. Standing there, the verse from Isaiah came to my mind.


Yet, O LORD, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand. Isaiah 64:8.


I want to be clay in the hands of the Master Artist.

How about you?

1 comment:

Darrel Harvey said...

man that is great stuff. i wish i would have read it before we had lunch. maybe we can revisit it next week.