Thursday, February 17, 2011

Autobiography

Recently I shared the following with a group of friends who wanted to strengthen their marriages and relationships with others.  Often times people say things like, "I want to change,but it's so hard." Or "this is just the way I am."


Portia Nelson has written the following, Autobiography in Five Short Chapters.

Chapter 1
I walk down the street.
There is a big hole in the sidewalk.
I fall in.
I am lost. I am helpless, It isn't my fault.
It takes forever to find a way out.

Chapter 2
I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I pretend I don't see it.
I fall in.
I can't believe I am in the same place, but
It isn't my fault,
It takes a long time to get out.

Chapter 3
I walk down the same street
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I see it is still there.
I fall in...It's a habit.
My eyes are open.
I know where I am. It's my fault.
I get out immediately.

Chapter 4
I walk down the same street
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk
I walk around it.

Chapter 5.
I go down another street.


I have always liked this short narrative.  What street are you headed down today? Watch out for holes in the sidewalk.  If you continue to fall in holes in sidewalks, it's never to late to change streets. Enjoy your steps on the journey today!

No comments: