Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Jeopardy

It has been hyped as the Ultimate Battle between man & machine. Following Monday night's Jeopardy's episode, the two were tied. 


The premise is based on a contest between Jeopardy's two most successful contestants, Brad Rutter and Ken Jennings and a supercomputer named Watson.  Rutter, in his career has won nearly 3 1/2 million dollars and Jennings has won 74 games in a row. Seems like they have the right candidates for this showdown.


The computer Watson is named for IBM founder and is powered by 10 racks of computer servers. It is touted as the ultimate answering machine and its designers intend to prove that it is more intelligent than humans.


The result?  At the end of round one on Monday evening, Rutter and Watson ended with $5,000 each. Jennings didn't fare so well and lagged behind by $2,000.


Tune in on Tuesday and Wednesday to see how all of this unfolds...


All of this got me to thinking...I battle a computer everyday....Some days I win...Some days the computer wins. The Jeopardy prize is $1 million. My daily prize is to hit "save" and get a document "saved." A highlight is when I hit "print" and a document comes out of the printer. If I can get on the internet at a WiFi hotspot, it feels like I have hit the jackpot.


I am not sure what all of the hype is with Watson, Rutter and Jennings. 

My prayer is that I will get this post saved before it evaporates into ether space.  Wait a minute, I wonder if all of the documents I have ever lost are somewhere inside of Watson.

Come to think of it...here's the question I think should appear on Jeopardy.  Where are all of my documents, email and pictures I have lost over the years?  

Watson...answer that please, because I am sure that Brad Rutter and Ken Jennings don't have a clue. 

No comments: