Saturday, February 26, 2011

Risks

I am going to go out on a limb for a minute...

Recently I was listening to a pastor who had served his congregation for over twenty years and who has had a remarkable ministry. From the outside looking in, it appears that he has done a lot of innovative things and has reached out in a variety of ways that most churches would find uncomfortable.


He was sharing from his heart about his years of ministry and he said something that struck me...

He said, "I wish I would have taken more risks."

Pausing I thought about his statement and wondered how many risks people take everyday. I wonder how many people take the "risky route" or the "safe way?"

All of this got me to thinking. I wonder what a "risky life" looks like?  I think I have a pretty good idea of a "safe" existence because I have seen its anesthetizing effect on people.  But "taking a risk" is another thing.

Here are my thoughts on "taking risks."

A person who takes risks usually does not look back with regrets. They have lived in the world of "I wonder what would happen if we did this or did that?"  I am not talking about doing foolish things or being unwise, but I am talking about living in such a way that we are always living in "God dependent ways."


A person who takes a risk usually experiences new resources that are never available to those who "play it safe."  I am not talking about taking a risk to see what resources may materialize, but I am talking about stepping out and doing it in such a way that unless God shows up you are going to fall flat on your face.


A person who takes a risk usually experiences an incredible life of joy because they are never satisfied to simply go through the motions.  I am not talking about doing crazy things just to see what kind of reaction it may create, but I am talking about living a life outside of the rut.


One of the reasons we are reluctant to take risks is because we become vulnerable to failure and its effects. That often prevents us from thinking about risks much less taking them.


I do not want to get near the end of my leadership or my life and stand up in front of young leaders and say, "I wish I would have taken more risks." 

Tim McMahon said it best..."Yes, risk taking is inherently failure-prone. Otherwise, it would be called sure-thing-taking."

Take a leap today...take a risk...enjoy the journey! Get out on the limb!






No comments: