Sunday, February 27, 2011

Dashboard

We have an automobile that has served us well for over 10 years. It has run flawlessly with minimal repairs and has delivered on the promises made by the salesman when we purchased it. Approaching 225,000 miles it still starts and rides smoothly providing dependable transportation for us.


I was driving it several years ago and without any warning the "check engine" light began to glow on the dashboard. Immediately I made a call to the dealer and described my plight. He instructed me to bring it in at "my convenience." Not knowing about these kind of things, I told him I would bring it right over. 


Lifting the hood, he connected a diagnostic device and told me that my "exhaust fuel sensor reducer capacitor metric overhead cam axle on board computer" was not functioning properly. Well, that is not exactly what he said, but that's what I heard.


He reached under the dashboard and fumbled around, a few seconds later the "check engine" light was off. He said "if the car is not causing you any problem, just ignore the light." Say what?


Now I am no rocket scientist, but that light means something when it is lit on the dashboard. Please don't send me all of your diagnoses because I have done everything the mechanic has said to do. I am pretty sure now it is just a malfunction of the light that leaves a faint glow on the dashboard of the car.


All of this has caused me to wonder....Did you ever have a "check engine" light glow on the dashboard of your soul? Have you ever had a warning that something was wrong on your faith journey? What has been your response?


For many people they ignore these "warning signals" and go on about life as though nothing is wrong. Others take the time to "diagnose" the problem and see what needs to be done. Just because we ignore these warnings does not mean they will eventually go away, often times it means that the matter will only become more serious.


Here is what I have learned from driving a car with a "check engine" light on.


First, something is wrong and it is always important to find out what it is. Sometimes it is easy to find out by ourselves, but often it is something that requires others to help us discover. That's why life lived apart from community will leave us feeling alone and lonely.


Second, when we discover what is wrong, we must make the commitment to get it fixed. To often, people will discover the glitch causing problems in their life but will continue to live with it even though it can be painful and cause them to live life in lesser ways than God intended.


Thirdly, when we make the commitment to get it fixed, it can be costly. The cost may mean that we need to make radical changes in the way we are living. But the costs may be less than the cost of continuing living the way we are presently living.


Is there a "check engine" light glowing on the dashboard of your life? If so, what are you doing about it?

No comments: