Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Seeing

"Too often, we look when we should see, 
we glance when we should gaze." 

In a world that is moving at a dizzying pace, the temptation is to snatch glances at the passing scenery and be satisfied with what we have seen. Admittedly, it takes time to move from "looking" to "seeing," time that we often do not have to give.


Interestingly enough there are some things we miss when we "look," there are some things we pass over when we "glance." It's not because of negligence, rather it is because we are so busy and do not have time to "gaze" at life. We do not take the time to explore.


In The Lie That Tells the Truth, John Dufresne has a section entitled, The Meaning of Life is to See. In that chapter he explores the meaning of "seeing" as opposed to "looking." Reading it, my mind races ahead and thinks about all of the things I will see today. 


I wonder what my busy-ness today will prevent me from "seeing?" I wonder if there are some things today that God wants me to "see" but I will be satisfied with "looking?" I wonder if I will be content to "glance" when He says"gaze."


Salvador Dali, the great artist, said, "to gaze is to think." 

The psalmist David wrote, One thing I ask from the LORD, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple. Psalm 27:4


Here is my prayer as I start my day....Forgive me when I "glance" and you call me to "gaze."


Today is an "Eyes Wide Open" kind of day...can't wait to "see!" How about you?



No comments: