Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sci-FiHi-FiWi-Fi

Culture is rapidly changing, I don't need to tell you that. Although time is moving at the same pace it always has, it seems like it is moving more rapidly. A five year old waiting for a birthday party has a different understanding of the passing of time than a family on a weekend getaway trip.


Looking back fifty years, several forces and stages have shaped our understanding of time.


Sci-Fi (Science Fiction) Stage - The simplicity of a story told on a black and white television Saturday evenings challenged the imaginations of couch potatos. Although the story lines may have been complex, the presentation was simple. The world was limited to  one speaker and a screen with its images. The world was small.


Hi-Fi (High Fidelity) Stage - I remember clearly the day my dad brought a Hi-Fi stereo into the living room of the house. No longer was sound coming through one speaker, now two speakers filled the room with high fidelity sound. The world was expanding.


Wi-Fi (Wireless Fidelity) Stage - An invisible signal is everywhere. Instant connections make it possible to get information in a split second. The internet expanded the world again.


What does all this mean?


I am not sure, but I can go into wireless "hot spots" and watch science fiction and listen to high fidelity music on the wireless fidelity signal. Pretty cool if you ask me. 


What is the next technology that will expand the world again? I am sure somewhere in a laboratory someone is working on a project that will shrink the size of the world again and make information more rapidly available.

Here are some possibilities that I have been thinking about...

Di-Fi (Distraction Fidelity) Stage - A sophisticated technology for those suffering from Attention Deficit Disorder. It provides a steady flow of information enabling the user to multitask more effectively.


Gi-Fi (Gift Fidelity) Stage -This is an incredible technology for those who are difficult to shop for. It is a gallery of "virtual gifts." There is no wrapping, shipping or the worry of sending thank you's. They don't actually exist in reality, they are more of a thought in the giver and receivers mind.


Fi-Fi Stage - This is not a technological advance, but it makes a great name for a poodle.


Well, I think you get the picture...

Until then, I am going to take time to enjoy the benefits of the technology which opens the world to its users. I am thankful for the flow of information available to me. My prayer is that I am faithful in its use. 

"Gotta go and check my email."

1 comment:

Don and Shirley said...

That stereo is still in the dark caverns of our basement. It's yours for the hauling :-)