Monday, February 14, 2011

Calories

I love good BBQ...that will not surprise you I'm sure. I have eaten at some of the finest BBQ establishments in America...Arthur Bryant's, Gates & Sons, Fiorella's Jack Stack, Corkys, Sonny's, Haywards, Butts on the Creek, Smokey Bones, Gold Rush, Smokestack, Famous Dave's, and Jack's in Nashville.


Late last week I received an email advertisement from the BBQ restaurant I frequent, proudly announcing 6 meals under 600 calories in addition to their regular menu. I read the fine print of the advertisement and it said, when you order from our new menu "get a free 30 day pass to (local gym) and assessment with personal trainer when you order any Citrus Grill platter."


Kinda defeats the purpose of enjoying good BBQ if you have to count calories, points or fat grams, if you know what I mean. Kinda defeats to the purpose of licking the BBQ sauce off your fingers if you get a gym and trainer recommendation with your bill at the end of the meal.


For a carnivorous BBQ lover, calories are not on the diet radar. It doesn't bring joy to your taste buds when you have to calculate the amount of calories you are consuming with each bite of mouth watering BBQ.


So I have made a decision. I will continue to eat BBQ and leave the calorie counting to my favorite restaurant. I am grateful that they are willing to do that for me. When they bring my bill and gym and personal trainer offer, I am not going to take it personal.

All of this conversation makes me hungry for BBQ. Do you think it's too early? I really do need to get back to the gym. Eating good BBQ will give me a good excuse...If I order the right item from the menu. 



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like they are trying to definitely get on the band wagon. Good marketing and it makes people feel good about themselves :)

If people are in the habit of eating relatively healthy and exercising like they shood, then a trip to their favorite BBQ joint once a week isn't going to derail the train.

God gave people common sense, we just have to use it :)