Thursday, February 10, 2011

Integrity


Every once in a while I run across a part of the Bible that seems like it was just inserted in the most recent edition. It is as though I have never seen it. Oh, its been there all along, I just missed it. That's probably true of anyone that reads the sacred story on a regular basis, but for me it was a startling discovery.


The Psalmist David prayed all kinds of prayers throughout the 150 psalms he composed. They are magnificent examples of honesty and transparency. They are beacons shedding light into the crevasses of our heart, lasers searching the contours of our soul.

Here is what I have missed until yesterday afternoon.


May those who hope in you
not be disgraced because of me, 
O Lord, the Almighty;
may those who seek you 
not be put to shame 
because of me, 
O God of Israel.
Psalm 69:6

A word of caution...don't pray this prayer. Really, don't pray this prayer. 

Why?

Because God might answer it and then your life will become an open book before Him and others. Not a safe place if you ask me. But it is a place of relief and honesty.

Here is another way of hearing the same scripture...

Don't let those who look to you in hope
be discouraged by what happens to me,
Dear Lord!  God of the armies!
Don't let those out looking for you,
come to a dead end by following me-
Please, dear God of Israel
Psalm 69:6 The Message

Today is a day of "being real...no pretending." In our own strength we can't do this, but with His help He can take the drama out of our stories and help us live out His Story. When that happens, we are "follow-able."

Someone is watching you...Live a life worth watching and following!

No comments: