Thursday, May 22, 2008

Adoption


I was watching television the other morning and was astounded to learn that Mrs. Duggar who is already a mother to 17 children is expecting baby number 18.


My wife and I are proud parents of 2 children. Now, if you are keeping score at home that means we have 15 less than Mr. & Mrs. Duggar.


In a show of solidarity we have decided to adopt. So I went down to see my friend Anthony who has a barnful of babies waiting to be adopted.


Stuffing 15 baby chicks into the trunk of my Tracer, I headed for home to introduce the girls to their new mom. My wife was impressed that our adoption did not obligate her in any way. As a matter of fact she was pleased to know that I would be responsible for feeding and watering the chickens.


So somewere in mid to late August we will be the proud recipients of fresh brown farm eggs. The projection is that we will receive about 12-18 eggs daily.


I am already thinking about omelets, hard boiled eggs, eggs benedict, and egg souffles. Not bad results for adopting 15 little chickens.


I love to walk out to the coop and check on the girls. They seem to like me already and associate me with food and water. They appear to be appreciative of the attention that I lavish on them.


They smell.


They make a mess.


They dig, scratch and peck.


These are not bad things when I think that I will enjoy "liquid chicken" in a pan after a long days work.


Join me in welcoming the newest members of our family!

1 comment:

Tom said...

Sorry...I can't resist asking if you are also looking forward to fried chicken someday. :)