Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Embedded


Embedded in a Creative Resources file in my laptop there are words of a man who was invited to address the National Prayer Breakfast, in February of 2006.


He was an unlikely person to stand before those gathered on that morning.


After a few opening remarks he came to the following words...


"Thus sayeth the Lord: 'Bring the homeless poor into the house, when you see the naked, cover him, then your light will break out like the dawn and your recovery will speedily spring forth, then your Lord will be your rear guard." The Jewish scripture says that. Isaiah 58 again.


That is a powerful incentive: 'The Lord will watch your back.'


Sounds like a good deal to me, right now.


A number of years ago, I met a wise man who changed my life. In countless ways, large and small, I was always seeking the Lord's blessing. I was saying, you know, I have a new song, look after it… I have a family, please look after them… I have this crazy idea…


And this wise man said: stop.


He said, stop asking God to bless what you're doing.


Get involved in what God is doing—because it's already blessed.


Well, God, as I said, is with the poor. That, I believe, is what God is doing.


And that is what He's calling us to do.


The person who spoke these words in front of Washington's rich, priviliged and powerful was Bono of U2 fame.


From the time I heard his words until now, I have been prompted to seek God who is always up to something in His world.


I spent today in downtown Flint at the East Side Mission. What a place! What a time! God is at work in that place!


There was something natural about being in His place and enjoying the whisper of His voice. I was in the "deep end" of the pool and enjoying it.


P.S. I looked for Bono today, but I didn't see him.

No comments: