Sunday, May 18, 2008

Deep


Today I had the privilege of thinking out loud about transformational change with the congregation I serve. It was interesting to think about living life in the deep end of the pool. We looked at Jesus' words to his first followers when He told them, "put out into the deep water."


"Deep calls to deep" The Psalmist understood the depths of God's love and mercy.


Eugene Peterson translating the same section of scripture of Psalms 42


When my soul is in the dumps, I rehearse everything I know of you,

From Jordan depths to Hermon heights, including Mount Mizar.

Chaos calls to chaos, to the tune of whitewater rapids.

Your breaking surf, your thundering breakers crash and crush me.

Then God promises to love me all day, sing songs all through the night!

My life is God's prayer. Psalms 42:6-8


At the close of the worship experience, I shared the following prayer from St. Francis Drake.


Disturb us Lord when We are too well pleased with ourselves

When our dreams have come true

Because we dreamed too little

When we arrived safely

Because we sailed too close to shore.


Shallow water is quite different from deep water. Sailing close to the shore is not near as exciting as being in deep water.


I closed the morning with a challenge. After speaking about the "Deep End," I removed one letter from the word "Deep" and created a new word, De pEnd....Depend.


Here is my thinking, "when you're in the Deep End, you need to Depend.


In another George Costanza moment..."That's all I got!"

No comments: