Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Driving


742 miles. Two border crossings. Lots of speed traps. And gas over $4 a gallon.


What could be better than a road trip from Boston to Flint? It sounds like a long trip and it is, but it was a great time to ride along the interstate system of the northeast United States.


The weather was perfect. The traffic was minimal and ideas for future projects and blogs flowed into my mind like a rushing torrent. I dont know if it was because I inside the Camry capsule or if it was because I was enjoying solitude.


It has caused me to ponder.


How often do I pause to allow creative thoughts to invade my mind? Or am I just satisfied to keep on thinking the same thoughts?


The daily grind mitigates against opportunities for creativity. The reason is simple. We often spend our energies surviving rather than seeking new ways of looking at life. How sad to continue to live our lives mired in mediocrity when we could experience excellence fostered by creativity.


So yesterday as I was riding along the interstate, ideas came to me that otherwise would have been blocked by telephone calls, email, and busy-ness.


Today I am looking forward to seeing what will unfold in my life. Yesterday was a great respite for me. I pray that my writing, communicating, and thinking reflects the full effects of yesterdays road trip.


The apostle Paul wrote provocative words that are ringing in my ears this morning.


"Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don't be impressed with yourself. Don't compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life." Galatians 6:4


Gotta run....creativity is calling

No comments: