Friday, May 2, 2008

Water


"The water for which we thirst is God's grace, but God gives us the job of hauling it in our own buckets." Evelyn Underhill


I need lots of buckets.


Dr. David Larson, M.D. wrote, "When we walk to the edge of all the light we have and take that step into the darkness of the unknown, we must believe the one of two things will happen...There will be something solid for us to stand on, or we will be taught to fly."


That assurance is developed through carrying buckets of God's grace. Our thirst for God's grace is quenched when we believe that we can "walk naked into the land of uncertainty" and know that He will be with us.


One of my favorite books is a small book that I purchased nearly twenty years ago. The title of the book is A Guide to Retreat for All God's Shepherds, by Rueben Job. I love the book for more reasons that I am able to describe.


In one of the best sections these words appear...


O God, throw me a crumb of quiet to soothe my restless wandering heart.

I am tired of seeking you.

I know that I'll find you on the day I allow myself to be found by you.

But I am not that tame yet...


God's grace is all around me...whenever I run, His grace is there. When I am distracted, His grace renews my focus. When I have questions, grace is His answer. When I am confused, grace calms my doubts. When I am confident, grace reminds me that "apart from him I can do nothing."


I am thirsty for grace...and I need a bigger bucket. How about you?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, no fair. I am the one blogging about water these days.