Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Open



It was a blur as we sped past the small building alongside the highway.

What caught my eye was a small sign. I had seen signs like this one many times before but never on a building like this.


Open to the Public.


Really?


Concertina Razor Wire atop a 8 foot chain link fence does not scream, "hey! come on in, you are welcome here.


It made me think.


How many times do we say our lives, communities and churches are Open to the Public and yet we have razor wire barriers erected that speak otherwise.


Mother Teresa was once asked by an interviewer: "What's the biggest problem in the world today?" Without hesitating she replied, "The biggest problem in the world today is that we draw the circle of our family too small. We need to draw it larger every day."


Back to the sign along the road. I was so struck by the irony of the sign that I did not really pay attention to the kind of business attached to the Open to the Public sign. I know that it was a fireworks company of some sort, but I sure didn't feel like getting any closer.


Open to the Public.


I want my life to reflect that sentiment.

I want the church I attend to be Open to the Public

I want my community to be Open.


It starts with me and then leads to the community.


Is your life Open to the Public or is there concertina razor wire atop an eight foot chain link fence?


Just a thought....

No comments: