Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Grace


Growing up in America we have been taught about capitalism and the work ethic....we have been told that 'the early bird gets the worm'....we have heard people say, 'no pain, no gain'...'there's no such thing as a free lunch', 'you get what you pay for' and 'people get what they deserve'....


I am in the middle of a sermon series entitled Grace Anatomy and I have been struck by the fact that many of the ideas that I learned growing up seem to be "anti-grace."


Now before you jump to any conclusions about how I was raised or the church that I grew up in, let me assure you that both contributed greatly to my early faith development.


What I am reflecting on are some prevalent ideas and forces that have crept into the life of the church and mitigated against a healthy understanding of grace.


Most of the ideas in today's culture suggest that we are "self-made" and that we are the "captains of our destiny." We are told that if we "work hard enough and smart enough" we will get ahead.


I was reading a sermon this afternoon in which the preacher made the statement that solidified a fresh understanding of grace in my life.


He said, "We have to learn to set aside merit and ability so that grace can find a place in our life."


The apostle Paul put it this way, "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God..." Ephesians 2:8


Grace is everywhere. It is abundant. It is sufficient. It is enough. It is prevalent. It is there before we get there. And yet I often go about life as if I am a "solo pilot" on a maiden voyage.


"Nothing in my hand I bring,

Simply to thy cross I cling."


Somebody ought to make a song out of those words...they are powerful. I know...I know....there already is a song with those words.


Sometimes all the things in my hands blocks my view of the cross. That's when I am most in need of His grace.


I am getting ready for Sunday....I am basking in His Grace....and lovin' it!

No comments: