Thursday, June 5, 2008

Subversive


Yesterday I was reading and ran across a statement from C.S. Lewis that grabbed my attention. I share it today because of the power of his words.


Writing in Mere Christianity, Lewis referrred to the world as “enemy-occupied territory” and Christianity as “the story of how the rightful king has landed, you might say landed in disguise, and is calling us to take part in a great sabotage.”


I guess that makes me an "undercover agent" who lives life out in the open. Quite a paradox when you think about it. Subversive, yet overtly open.


It made me wonder how to live a kingdom life like C. S. Lewis described. There are times when I think I have a grasp on what that means, and times when I don't have a clue. I do know that it is possible because I have seen momentary glimpses of His grace that remind me that is the kind of life I am called to live.


This type of life is a life lived in the land of excellence. I am not using that phrase in the busines sense of "management by objective" and "win-win" yada-yada-yada.


I like what Quinn says in his provocative book entitled, Deep Change. He says, "The land of excellence is safely guarded from unworthy intruders. At the gates stand two fearsome sentries – risk and learning. The keys to entrance are faith and courage."


To be an "overt undercover agent" I must be willing to have faith to address the risks and courage to learn if I am ever to walk in the "land of excellence."


You may be thinking..."I wonder what the 'land of excellence' means?" From where I sit this morning I would define the "Kingdom of God" as the "land of excellence." Not a bad definition.


Walk about the land today and enjoy the scenery, you are participating in the Kingdom of God.

No comments: