Saturday, June 14, 2008

Prickly


This weekend the NASCAR circuit makes a stop in the Irish Hills of Michigan. Michigan International Speedway plays host to cars hurtling down the backstretch at over 180 MPH. The "Big Dance" takes place on Sunday afternoon around 2 PM.


I have worked weekends now for over 25 years and cannot attend car races on Sunday afternoon. I have been very content to get home on Sunday afternoon in time to watch the thundering machines rocket around the track. I also am old enough to remember when you didn't turn the TV on Sunday afternoons, so I am thankful to live in a time when I can watch the races.


Then it hit me....A Great Idea!


What would happen if I prayed for rain on this Sunday afternoon? If it rained the race would be re-scheduled for Monday and I could go and see the race in person. So I have been praying for rain. Sorta selfish I admit.


There will be nearly 100,000 fans at Michigan International Speedway this weekend. I am not sure how many "prayer warriors" will be there, but I am sure some of them have prayed for a sun-drenched weekend to enjoy the race.


Here is the prickly situation.


I am praying for one thing....heavy rain. Others are praying for another thing....sun! I wonder who God will answer?


The temptation for me is to say, "I am sure God will answer my prayer because (fill in the blank). Equally tempting is the thought, "Surely God will not answer their prayer because (fill in the blank).


I really don't know what God will do on Monday, and that's OK. He is God and I am not. But I sure would love to see the race in person.


Have you ever prayed one way and met another person praying the opposite way?


Which was it? Rain or Sun?


This conundrum has made me laugh today...enjoy life today!

No comments: