Saturday, June 21, 2008

Summer


Today is the first day of summer.


It was a beautiful day in the neighborhood. I enjoyed a parade, a high school graduation party, hot dogs on the grill, and a car cruise in a neighboring community.


The sunny afternoon brought back childhood memories from summers gone by.


Here are my top five memories from when I was a kid.


1. Long bike rides through the little community that I grew up in. It tasted like freedom,

2. Fishing in the creek at the lower end of town. I can still smell the water.

3. Catching fire flies after the sun set.

4. Trips to the local ice cream parlor.

5. Listening for the screen door slamming at dusk. That was the signal that it was time to come in the house.


Henry James was right when he said....


"Summer afternoon, summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language."


Summer is here, and I'm lovin' it...

No comments: