Sunday, June 15, 2008

Simplexity


Today was a beautiful day in downtown Flint. Yesterday I was praying for rain, but today turned out to be a gorgeous Father's Day and so we headed off to the Art Fair.


There were all kinds of art on display and we sauntered through each of the displays and admired the incredible talent of the artisans gathered under the huge shade trees. It was fun to be outside and to enjoy other people's creativity.


In my reading this week I ran across an interesting word. The word is "simplexity" The definition is, "the possible complementary relationship between complexity and simplicity."


Some of the art was derived from simple material arranged in a complex way. Simplexity.


Wandering through the exhibits, I thought about that word and how it can be used to describe life.


So much of life is simple and yet it is complex. Often times we walk through a complex world and find that simplicity eludes us like ice cubes melting through our hands on a warm summer day.


Simplexity. I want to have a simple faith in a world that clamors for complex solutions to problems we encounter on the journey. I want to have a simple faith in the face of difficult moments. There is a way that a pilgrim can live that both recognizes the simple and complex and yet relies on the hand of the Almighty.


Walking today on the lawn of the Flint Institute of Art gave me the opportunity to reflect on my journey.


Here is a motto that has been a GPS verse guiding my journey..."A simple life in the Fear-of-God is better than a rich life with a ton of headaches." Proverbs 15:16


Headaches on the horizon? You can be sure of it! The solution? "A simple life in the Fear-of-God!"


Simplexity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didnt know you had a blog!! Ran across it checking out the church website today. Good stuff, I will have to check in more regularly!