Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Preparation



It's Tuesday afternoon and I am digging for nuggets of truth in the pages of Scripture. I am searching for traces and evidences of God's grace in the Word. I am looking for places where it is apparent that the rhythms of God's grace are pulsing even though people are completely aware of it.
I am looking for those places that suggest His grace that "goes before" us.

In my reading this week, I read these words that challenged me to think more deeply about this.


"Long before we were able to identify God's presence or focus on His deeds, He was active. No one is a stranger to God. Long before we ever moved toward Him, God has already moved toward us. Even when we do respond, He makes the response possible." A Dangerous Hope, p. 49.


This is an incredible description of the "grace that goes before."


I wonder how many people really believe that even before they are able to indentify God's presence that He is active in their life?


I wonder how many people really believe that long before they ever took a step toward Him, He has been walking in their direction?


I wonder how many people realize that when they do respond to His grace that it is possible because He has made it possible?


Here is the verse that illuminates the concept for me....


Now God has us where he wants us, with all the time in this world and
the next to shower grace and kindness upon us in Christ Jesus.
Saving is all his idea, and all his work.
All we do is trust him enough to let him do it. It's God's gift from start to finish!
We don't play the major role.
If we did, we'd probably go around bragging that we'd done the whole thing!
No, we neither make nor save ourselves.
God does both the making and saving.
He creates each of us by Christ Jesus to join him in the work he does,
the good work he has gotten ready for us to do, work we had better be doing.
Ephesians 2:8-10 (The Message)


I am looking forward to being with the worshipping community on Sunday and another opportunity to be a "grace-tracer" in a world that lives under the tyranny of phrases like "try harder," "work smarter" and "do more."


I am living in the grace of this moment, enjoying the thought of His grace that is ahead, and basking in the idea that His Grace is preparing the way for what He wants to do.


Jump into the pool of His Extravagant Grace!

No comments: