Monday, June 16, 2008

Grill


For Father's Day I received a gas grill from my family.

Then I encountered those frightening words....Some Assembly Required.

28 pages of instructions. 170 pieces. Estimated Assembly Time - 35-45 minutes, and Voila! A CharBroil Grill emerges.

So this afternoon I opened the box and began to assemble my new grill.

One and a half hours later I had worked my way through 20 pages and asembled about 168 or 169 pieces. But hey! it stands up, the lid closes and the fire is coming out of the appropriate openings.

I was pleased with my efforts and was revelling in the thought that I had saved my family money on assembly charges.

"How much did it cost to have the grill assembled at the store where you bought it?" I asked.

"Nothing. assembly was free," my wife said.

"What?"

"Yeah it was free."

"You have got to be kidding."

I grumbled and then completed assembling the grill. Imagine my delight when I fired up the grill and plopped the chunk of London Broil over the fire.

I learned three lessons this afternoon.

1. "Some Assembly Required" is never simple
2. Instructions are difficult to understand whether they are in English, Spanish,or Chinese
3. Nothing beats a steak ouside on the grill.

Stop by and check out my new grill...

1 comment:

Jodi Spalding said...

Ahh... you received not one, but two gifts... a CharBroil Grill and the feeling of a job "well done" (pun intended), the satisfaction of knowing that you put it together all by yourself!

To this I can relate!... I recently bought 4 adirondack chair "kits" for my new brick patio. Each box contains 25 pre-cut planks, about 100 screws, instructions and the instructions addendum w/ corrections.... and the box states, "Assembles in minutes." Mind you, it doesn't say how many minutes!!! Three days later, I have four beautiful chairs to adorn my new patio.

I, too, learned lessons:

1. Doing it yourself is always harder and more time consuming, but always more rewarding.

2. When you get tired & ache-y, take a popsicle break... or two!

3. If your still working when the sun goes down, be sure to have bug spray.

4. Joy comes in the morning!

Doin' it myself, and lovin' it!