Sunday, August 10, 2008

BBQ

I have BBQ on my mind this evening.


I am cruising down Interstate 55 in southern Illinois heading to Kansas City. On either side of the road are cornfields for as far as you can see. The fields that do not have corn are planted in soybeans.



I have BBQ on my mind this evening.



Several hours ago I looked out the right side window and saw a huge trailer being towed by a Chevy Silverado "does that thing have a Hemi" kind of truck. On the back of the trailer was a gigantic BBQ smoker with a larger than life pistol guarding the "secret-recipe."


On the back of the trailer, the following words were lettered.


"We do not fear the competition, we are the competition."
Those are pretty brave words, but then again, you can be brave when you have a pistol guarding both the recipe and the smoker.
Kansas City is home to great BBQ. The purpose of my visit is not to eat BBQ, as tempting as that might be.
I am headed to Kansas City to get the Nazarene Disaster Response trailer and bring it to Iowa so that we can continue our work in the Oakville Community.
Tomorrow I am headed to Iowa and will be back in Flint in the early hours of Tuesday morning. It is a long road trip to be sure, but it will be worth every mile when we open the doors of that trailer to the needs of hurting communities.
What fun to be a part of the Kingdom of God and to answer His call.
The sun is setting on the western horizon and we will arrive in Kansas City at 1:06 AM. Gotta run for now.

2 comments:

Don and Shirley said...

"HI"
A trip to Heywards BBQ would be, "Worthy" of you.

Darrel Harvey said...

just wanted you to know...we had enough for a quorum last night. the minutes and reports were accepted. and you were appointed the new flint zone chairman.

safe travels.