Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Heat







Today it was 92 degrees with a heat index approaching the mid-90's. The sun blistered down. The dust on the country roads formed a trail behind our vehicles as we returned to work today. The conditions were formidable as we prepared to complete the work we started yesterday.



Both barns on Ruby's property have been reduced to a pile of smoldering embers. Years of memories went up in smoke. She smiled and said, "what a view, I always wanted to have a clear view across my yard." Now she does.



Patty is her next door neighbor as well as her daughter. She stopped by to ask when we were going to be able to begin working on her house. I told her that we would be there sometime this afternoon. The sadness in her eyes reminded me that her loss was overwhelming. From Ruby's property, it is about 5oo yards to Patty's home.



Patty and her husband moved into their home seven years ago today. It was a brand new home when they moved in. Today their home, after being inundated in 14 feet of water for several weeks, became a victim of the Iowa flood.




She wept as we demolished her home. Although you could not distinguish my tears from the sweat, I was sad. I wish that I could fix the pain evident in the lines on her face, but I can't.



We finished late in the afternoon and loaded all of the equipment en route back to Wapello. It was another day of learning...



Here are three lessons I learned today:



We are family and we have met some great "kin-folk" in Iowa
A broken heart feels the same in every time zone
Loss is painful and getting more stuff doesn't make the pain go away.



Dinner is over and we are learning the home towns where we were born, our favorite brand of potato chips and other trivia that gives us another opportunity to laugh.



Sleep is calling and I am going to respond quickly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know you all are working very hard and are very tired and I know that you know that my thoughts are with you. I will be headed home tomorrow and cant wait to see you all. Blessings, PKB