Monday, August 18, 2008

Work











Today started at 5:30 am with a glance at the clock. My heart was pumping and the adrenaline was flowing as I laid on the floor of the Wapello church thinking about the day.

I knew what was planned, but I didn't know what was going to happen.


We loaded all of the equipment and headed toward Oakville a community at the nexus of the Mississippi and Iowa River.


The homes we worked on stood in water until two weeks ago. The flood hit on June 14th and has only receded recently.


Ruby, our friend and the owner of the house, has been through four floods. She is undaunted and at age 76 worked circles around us as she persistently worked to create some semblance of order in her yard.


I was sad as I watched her say farewell to equipment, tools and personal items that filled two barns on her farm. The water level was over 12 feet at the height of the flooding.


She had a smile on her face that reminded me that people and relationships are more important than the contents of our houses.


She told us the story of the trees in her yard and how they were planted by her children. Now the trees are mature and so are her children. Her children have suffered the devastation of the floods and yet the floods have not devastated their family.


Sitting underneath the trees in her yard, we celebrated the joy of being connected to one another. Talking together we shared common experiences and laughed together. And we sweated. With perspiration dripping from our foreheads we enjoyed one another.


Aaahhhh....the Kingdom of God is at hand, and we are enjoying it!


I can't wait to hit the sack so I can hit the road tomorrow!

3 comments:

Jodi Spalding said...

We may not have it all together, but together... we have it all... AMEN??

Tom said...

Praying everyday for you and the Team.

Kirk S. said...

I would like to say a BIG THANKS to all who have prayed for and came and helped my family here in Iowa. I looked forward to seeing everyone from both teams when Mom fixes dinner for you all. I can't express everything i would like to but thanks very much.