Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Wafting


It is 6:30 am and the smell of sausage is wafting through the Wapello Church of the Nazarene.

Batter is becoming fresh pancakes. Muffins are waiting for consumption.


The Disaster Recovery Team is fueling up for another day in the "zone."


Yesterday was a grueling day and today looks like more of the same.


There is a great sense of anticipation as the team heads out.


I am excited to see what will unfold as we return to an area where the Iowa River and the Mississippi River converge. Even though I have seen the scene over and over again, I am still moved by the devastation and the people's loss.


Simplicity is a buzzword in today's culture. Getting rid of our stuff on our terms is one thing, getting rid of our stuff because of a natural disaster is another. Either way, I realize that our culture is adept at collecting "stuff."


Today we will go and begin the process of "stuff reduction."


Here is my prayer for today...


God, help me to hold on loosely to things so I can

hold on tightly to you. Amen

1 comment:

Don and Shirley said...

You've been prayed for today.