Sunday, March 27, 2011

Forward

I have several friends who generously forward all kinds of email to me. Usually it is in the form of pictures, funny videos, or some health saving idea. Generally, I don't mind getting forwards, but it has caused me to think about how easy it is to get an email and think, "wow, everybody I know needs to see this!" Immediately I go to the forward button on my email, load up my address book and hit send. In seconds I have forwarded the email to others.

Now before you judge me, I do not stoop to this practice. Why? Because I am the recipient of forwards requiring me to scroll through a plethora of email addresses before I get to the bottom only to discover it is something that I have no interest in.

10 years ago a movie entitled, Pay it Forward was based on a novel by the same title. Both the book and movie highlighted the obligation to do three good deeds for others in repayment for one good deed that one has experienced. The purpose is to do something for another person which they do not expect or could not do on their own. The movie shows what happens as "paying it forward" becomes normative. The end result?" A society that becomes generous and ultimately a better place for people to live.

Which is easier? Pushing a button and forwarding an email to your entire address book, or forwarding a good deed? Sadly, in a world where it is easier to push a button, many good deeds go undone.

Recently, I was waiting in line at McDonalds. A disheveled guy walked in and ordered breakfast. Fumbling in his pocket he finally retrieved enough money to pay for his meal. While he was searching, I thought to myself, "pay for his meal, pay for his meal." All of a sudden a well dressed elderly couple got in line and ordered their breakfast in front of me. The gentleman reached for his wallet. 

My disheveled friend quietly held up his hand and motioned to the girl behind the counter. What happened next floored me. I heard the guy say to the elderly couple, "breakfast is on me, I have parents that are about your age that I seldom ever get to see. I never get to buy their breakfast, so breakfast is on me this morning."

Time stood still. I was breathless. The elderly couple stood their in shock. The counter girl didn't know what to do. The disheveled guy reached in his greasy pants pocket and took out a large bill and said to the couple, "enjoy your breakfast" and turned and walked away.


Pay it forward.


Interestingly enough, I can't imagine either the payer or the payee hitting "forward" on their email, but they certainly understand what "forward" means in real life.


Keep your eyes open today, you may have an opportunity to "pay it forward." And by the way, if you forward emails to me, I will still scroll through the sea of email addresses and read them. Maybe....

No comments: