Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lent

The streets have been cleared in the French Quarter of New Orleans. Fat Tuesday is over and Ash Wednesday is upon us. Lent is the season of "giving up" or "fasting" as we anticipate the season of Easter.


In a culture rife with consuming and amassing things, Lent seems like a foreign language. Denying ourselves is not a value that comes naturally, but Lent gives pilgrims on the journey an opportunity to pause and focus on this season of the year.

Here is the prayer that I will be praying over the Lenten season:


God of second chances and new beginnings
I am always amazed
that you choose to use me for
your kingdom purposes
you use me as I am
Imperfect
Flawed
Ordinary
Tending sometimes not to do my best
Prone to error
And very inclined to trip and fall

Always your grace 
is greater than my mistakes and stumblings
Thank you, O God
For using me in spite of myself!

Unfailing God
Remind me often that,
in your sight
failure is never final.

By your grace, enable me to deal with
my own failures constructively
and with the failures of others patiently.

Let it be so.
Amen

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh to be putty in the hands of the master artisan!