Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Reflection

Tuesday March 1st I posted a blog entitled "Judgment" in which I explored the "dust-up" surrounding the publication of Rob Bell's new book entitled, Love Wins: Heaven and Hell and the Fate of Every Person Who Ever Lived. 


The pre-publication hype caused the blogosphere to explode as people made sweeping accusations before reading the book. It is disappointing when a person rushes to judgment and in so doing compromise their integrity.


Thanks to Kindle, I have read the book.


This is not the place to fully explore Bell's writings, but I wanted to share a couple of brief reflections.


First, you might be surprised by Bell's candor throughout the book. He writes with passion and persistent purpose as he reflects on the meaning of heaven and hell. Unfortunately, the kerfuffle about this book was limited to his treatment of hell. He explores heaven and hell from a biblical perspective and challenges the reader to examine what the Bible says about both. He intimates that often we know more about heaven and hell than what is contained in the Bible itself.


Second, the accusations made prior to the book's publication wither after one reads Bell's writings. His treatment of the historical church's understanding of heaven and hell may be surprising to some readers, however he traces their origin through sacred scripture and historical tradition.

The Preface is a masterful introduction to what Bell says in the remainder of the book. In my opinion it's worth the price of the book.


There are two quotes that grabbed my attention as I finished the book yesterday afternoon...

"...and I as well have a hard time believing that somewhere down below the earth's crust is a really crafty figure in red tights holding a three-pointed spear, playing Pink Floyd records, backward, and enjoying the hidden messages."

And...

"Often the people most concerned about others going to hell when they die seem less concerned with the hells on earth right now, while the people most concerned with the hells on earth right now seem the least concerned about hell after death."


There is much to think about from Bell's writings. I do not agree with all that he says and there are some things that I resonate with. Regardless of whether you agree or disagree, Rob Bell has presented a gift to the church. It is the gift of challenging us to think about our faith and ask big questions of a God who is bigger than us,the church and our questions.


My faith has not been rocked by Bell's writings, but it has given me pause to consider what I really believe. The God I serve is able to stand up to my puny inquiries and questions and still be God. I am not going to shock Him by what I think. 


I am thankful to be a part of a faith that allows questions, inquiry, dialog and doubt. None of these daunt or dent the faith, but they allow me to be strengthened in my resolve to join in the One who says, "the Kingdom of God is at hand."


Watch for an invitation to a theological discussion with others on the journey!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love Wins deserves to be read and discussed in community...a theological roundtable would be ideal!
Thanks for your thoughts

Vicki said...

I'm intrigued....looking forward to reading it. I've read Bell's books before and, like you, I don't agree with everything he says, but I am always left thinking more deeply, questioning more honestly and seeking more earnestly for Truth...not my perceived truth but, simply "the Truth", and sometimes that means having the courage to "let go" of long-held beliefs and ideas. He certainly is able to challenge the lethargic minds of many Christians...(including my own).
Thanks for your thoughts, Dave!...Keep sharing them!!