Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Respect

The exchange was brusque. Words were said that will eventually need to be taken back although that is both improbable and difficult.


It happens all the time.


I have seen it again and again, and every time I see it, it is heartbreaking. It is prevalent among Christ followers who often impose their opinions on others who are seeking to find their way along the path. 


It often sounds like..."Yeah, but God has a standard and he wants us to live up to it." I agree, but there are ways to communicate that doesn't alienate people and minimize their desire to follow God.


Over the years I have seen people who have been around the church for a long time make careless broad sweeping statements to "strugglers" about what they ought to do and how they ought to do it.I have witnessed the carnage of those who have felt like giving up because of the demanding demeanor.

Francois Fenelon says it best...."Uphold a Godly standard, but admit when you uphold it in an ungodly way."

I want to be extremely careful when I attempt to uphold a Godly standard that I don't do it in an ungodly way. I want to be "quick to listen and slow to speak" in my journey as a Christ-follower. I don't want to impose my understanding of what God is doing in my life on the life of others. I want to be able to reflect His glory and allow others along the journey to hear His voice.


I have been guilty of "upholding a Godly standard in an ungodly way" at times in my journey. It has usually been at times of frustration and at other times it has been when I wasn't sure what to say and so I reverted to cliches and familiar jargon tinged with judgment.


I have also been on the receiving end of people who have attempted to etch their faith understandings on mine. It was not attractive or appealing, rather it caused a distance between myself, them and God.


So today I am choosing to live my life according to His standards as I understand them. I plan to give people plenty of room to "work out their salvation with fear and trembling." My prayer is that I will resist the temptation to behave in "ungodly ways" when it comes to "upholding a Godly standard."


Come people call this civility...I call it living authentically....


I am heading out to face the day...God, please guide my words today....

No comments: