Thursday, March 3, 2011

Near

Occasionally I get a glimpse of heaven. Yesterday I glimpsed the gates through the eyes of a person who nears her eternal reward.


The phone call came into the office yesterday and the message was passed on to me. Hearing the words of the message saddened and gladdened my heart at the same time


I was sad because we are going to lose a saint of the church, a real pillar of the faith. Gladdened because she will soon hear the words, "well done good and faithful servant."


I went over to her house and her 95 year old husband took me back to the bedroom where she was laying in the bed. Unable to respond, I called her by name and she opened her eyes. I tried to encourage her and even though she was unable to talk, I could tell that she was hearing the words I was sharing.


For several years she has affirmed her desire to "go home." She is very near to getting her wish. Holding her frail hand, I realized that she would soon touch the hand of God. It reminded me that God is faithful.


Walking out of the house I was reminded that what was happening in that home was of eternal consequence. I realized that she was getting ready to "go home." It also reminded me that she didn't need to make any last minute preparations, everything was ready.


Morgan Freeman's line in Shawshank Redemption says it all..."Get busy living or get busy dying..." My dying friend was "busy living" her entire life, now she is "busy dying" and heaven will be a better place when she gets home.

1 comment:

alicia said...

Beautiful!

Peace, Alma! Tell Jesus I love Him!