Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Gradual

I am always interested in people's faith journeys and how they find their way along the spiritual path. 


I was caught by surprise while watching an interview of Newt Gingrich conducted by Greta VanSusteren, as he traced the steps of his journey into Catholicism.


"You have now converted to Catholicism-when was that, how long ago and why?" was VanSusteren's opening question.


Gingrich responded..."It was a long process. Calista was born into the Catholic church and is very very devout...she sings in the choir at The Basilica at the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception. 

As a spouse I went in a supportive way and over time being there, participating, experiencing the mass....


I tell people it wasn't so much that I converted as it was that 
I gradually became Catholic and one morning realized 
what had happened to me. 


My task is not to critique Gingrich's personal life, his political stances or his future in government, but I would like to think for a moment about his "gradual" entrance into the Catholic church.


Across many faith traditions there are "indicators" of one's entrance in the faith. Sure, there may be moments of transformation, but these are usually in response to a persons awareness of their need. When I listened to Gingrich describe his "gradual conversion" it causes me to wonder if this is the new norm. I wonder if people are phased into the faith or if there is still a declarative statement necessary to affirm ones desire. 

I wonder if more people are being "gradually converted" into the faith than those who would simply make a declaration to enter into the faith?


And I wonder if it is possible to be drawn into the faith in such a way that one day you wake up and realize that you are in the faith? Almost like a dawning awareness that supersedes any individual affirmations made along the way.


I am just wondering about all of this....it used to be that you declared your faith, now it seems like more and more we are seeing people finding their way into faith and "one morning realizing what had happened."


Gingrich closes the interview with an insightful line...I wish it could be said of more churches and more faiths

I find that it (Catholicism) is a very nurturing and comforting experience and one which has made me feel more at peace than I have at any point in my life."

Whatever you think about the "entrance requirements" the results experienced by Gingrich are encouraging to me. 

No comments: